Spain - The Land Of Thousand Wines
06 Days / 05 Nights
The Land of the Basques in the local language, is a fascinating destination which comprises in a relatively small piece of land, a great diversity of sceneries from the ocean, to the mountain range and from modern cities to countryside and vineyards. In the south part of the region, behind the Cantabrian beautiful Mountain Range, emerges La Rioja, a land bathed by the Ebro river and one of the worlwide best known winery areas. Probably the most famous denomination of origin for wines in Spain, is often called "The Land of a Thousand Wines", as few wine regions are as diverse in their landscape as Rioja. The best time to come, is when Summer declines and grapes are in their best condition to be collected. The Harvest time is a unique experience of colour, smell and taste, what is celebrated with many different Wine Harvest Festivals.
In an age of peak global homogeneity, when distinct cultures are vanishing, there is something invigorating, disorientating even, about arriving in the Basque Country. Split between Spain and France, the Basque Country is perhaps the most over-achieving locale on the planet right now. Seven provinces, two countries, one people, three languages. A "nation without a state" - left off the map when they drew Europe's national borders. With urban excitement, sunny beaches with some of the best surfing in the world, an idyllic climate, a beautiful mountain range, spectacular modern architecture, tasty pintxos (Basque take on tapas) and feisty, free-spirited people, this region is filled with cultural treats.
- Hotel accomodation provided on twin sharing basis
- AC / Non AC preferrence can be given
- All in-room orders are charged ala carte
- Transport in a private deluxe van or bus for all the route
- Transfers Airport - Hotel - Airport
- Accommodation in 4 star hotels, breakfast included. Category of the hotels can be choosed on demand
- Entrance to scheduled gastronomic sites
- Local Travel Guide English spoken
- Liability Insurance.
- 5% GST
- Airfare costs.
- Entrance to Museums or other sites not included in the Itinerary.
- Any expenses of personal nature, like tips to driver & guide, cigarettes, laundry, telephone calls, mini bar etc
- All extra incurred at the Hotel other than mentioned.
- Meals or dinners not mentioned in inclusions.
- Airport and Visa taxes
- Travel Insurance, if it is included in origin
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions.
- Bilbao - 02 Nights
- Donostia - 02 Nights
- Rioja - 01 Night
- Arrival in the International Airport of Bilbao.
- Bus/Van Transfer to the hotel.
- Site visits depending on the arrival time. Night in the city
- Wake up early this morning and you will be travelling for 3 point sightseeing of Tiger Hill, Batasia Loop and Ghoom Monastery.
- We will visit the Old Quarters, that houses many monumental buildings, like Arriaga Theatre, Arched Square (Plaza Nueva) and Saint Jaques Cathedral of Gothic style
- Then visit to unbeatable location to attend a show cooking of pintxos, where we will have the chance to cook some of them and of course taste and eat them. For that we will visit the place with the oldest bar licence in the city.
- we will move to the modern Bilbao, highlighting the spectacular Guggenheim Museum designed by Frank O. Gehry, which surprises to the visitor with its originality.
- The visit to Bilbao can be completed with a boat trip through the Nervion River, to see the urban transformation of the Metropolitan area.
- We take the bus/van to travel along the province of Bizkaia, stopping first in the Bizkaia Suspension Bridge.
- And as the wine is the main protagonist of this trip, if the weather and sea condition allows, we will go on to make a very special visit to one of the unique spots in the Basque Country, the underwater wine cellar located in the pristine beach resort of Plentzia
- See the seabed and the cellar with underwater images with our own eyes, and enjoy a tasting of "submarine wine" accompanied by tasty regional food.
- If the weather is not good enough, we will head down inland to visit a Txakoli Winery hidden in the mountains.
- we will go towards Gernika village, recognized historically as the place where the General Councils of Biscay met under the oak known as the Tree of Gernika
- we will have the chance to visit the historical Assembly House and the Oak Tree complex
- After having lunch in a traditional Basque Restaurant, we will enter the nearby Gipuzkoa province, famous for its Cider House After crossing the mountainous Deba Valley, we will travel along the beautiful Gipuzkoan coast
- To arrive finally to the capital city of Donostia - San Sebastian, this charming old city center is famous for having the highest concentration of bars in the world. Night in the city.
- visit the heritage buildings in the Old Part of the city and stroll along the maritime promenade, till the famous sculpture "Comb of the Winds", where the wild Cantabric Sea hit the coast forming spectacular waves
- For lunch we will experience one of the most traditional and special places related to the Basque Gastronomy - Gastronomic Societies
- visit to Donostia can be completed with an excursion to Igeldo mountain, by the charming cable car dated from 1.912 and one of the oldest of this type still working in the country
- From the top of the hill you could have an astonishing view of the sea and the city. Night in the city.
- And today we will move directly to Rioja, a land bathed by the Ebro, the largest river in Spain.
- Today and tomorrow we will have the chance to travel through this fantastic landscape, enjoying the Wine Harvest Festival in the village of Yecora and stopping in several wineries to learn about the world of wine, to taste it of course and together with local gastronomy specialities like Potatoes in Riojan style, grilled lamb ribs, asparragus or red peppers.
- In this ocassion we will visit mainly Rioja Alavesa subzone, the nearest area to the beautiful Cantabrian mountain range.
- We will spend the night in Laguardia village, recently nominated as one of the 44 most beautiful villages in Spain
- Today is the day for the Wine Harvest Festival in "Rioja Alavesa" sub-region.
- You also can enjoy traditional Basque Music and Dancing performances, together with Rural Sports exhibitions, to complete a really nice day.
- Depending of the flight time we will stay over in Rioja or go directly to Bilbao airport
|Ex Bilbao |
|TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
Note: GST 5% (Government Tax) on total package price
Terms and Conditions
- Above rates are valid on a minimum of 2 adults travelling together.
- Rates are subject to change in case of any additional taxes, government fees change etc.
- Any meals and services unless mentioned in the itinerary, are not included.
- In case of unavailability in the mentioned hotels, alternate accommodation will be arranged in a similar category hotel.
- EziiTours reserves the right to decline any passenger.