- Munsiyari. is the name of a small town, a Tehsil and Sub Division in the Pithoragarh District in the hill-state of Uttarakhand, India.
- It lies at the base of the great Himalayan mountain range, at an elevation of about 2,200 m and is a starting point of various treks into the interior of the range.
- Its name refers to a ‘place with snow’. Situated on the banks of Goriganga river.
- It is a fast-growing tourist destination, and mountaineers, glacier enthusiasts, high altitude trekkers and nature lovers commonly use it as their hub or base camp.
- Munsiyari. also falls on the ancient salt route from Tibetand is at the entrance of the Johar Valley, which extends along the path of the Gauriganga River to its source at the Milam Glacier.
- It is inhabited mainly by the Shauka tribe.
- The town is surrounded by snow-capped peaks, with a key attraction being the trekking route to Khalia Top. Another must visit place is Pangti museum where Dr. Pangti has retained the artifatcs, books on history and culture of Kumaoun.
- Munsiyari is a new discovery as a tourist place in Uttarakhand, till recently Munsiyari was a restricted area in Himalayan inner line wedged in between borders of India, China & Nepal restrctions have eased now. It has been placed Munsiyari on tourist map.
- Munsiyari is a trekker’s paradise. Many arduous yet adventurous high altitude treks start from here like trek to Milam, Namik and Ralam Glaciers. Otherwise you can trek just 8 kms one way to Khaliya top to witness a panoramic view of the captivating Himalayan ranges which will surely leave you speechless.
- At Munsiyari you can visit the Nandadevi temple just 3 kms from the main market area.
- This temple is beautifully located on a lush green meadow facing the enchanting Panchachuli. A short drive from here will take you to the Tribal Heritage Museum which has a vivid collection of Kumaoni art, crafts and ancient preserves.
- The town of Munsiyari has a handful of shops, houses, a few offices, a bus depot, a stable, a few medicine shops, local eateries and a very few hotels.
Join us for trip to this mesmerizing Munsiyari.
Talk to us at EziiTours to Explore New Destinations around the World.