Sri Lanka With nearly 1600 km of of palm fringed Coastline baked to perfection surrounding the country, Sri Lanka is the ideal destination for beach bums worldwide. May it be windsurfing, kayaking, yachting, water skiing, scuba diving or jut lazing around for the perfect tan, Sri Lanka offers it all.
Here is a list of outstanding beaches of Sri Lanka:
1) Negombo: A fishing town located 35 km from Colombo and, 6 km from island’s main International Airport.
The beauty of the beach, one of the best west coast shores of Sri Lanka and surrounding star class hotels as well as the close proximity to the airport, gave more attraction to this beach as it’s easy to reach there.
2) Mount Lavinia: The place located 12 km from Colombo is a historical city from British colonial period.
The Governors House of Sir Thomas Maitland, built in 1805, has become a star class hotel today.
This beach is crowded on holidays with local people who enjoy the beach sports activities such as swimming and surfing.
3) Kalutara: The place located 43 km from Colombo is important spice trading center from Portuguese, Dutch and British colonial times.
The city also named as one of the sacred city of Buddhist people in the country has large hollow dagoba near the Kalu Ganga.
4) Beruwala: The place located 55 km from Colombo is the starting point of 130 km long southern coast also a main fishing center.
5) Bentota: The place located in south of the country, 62 km from Colombo has romantic scenery hotels and popular for sports like wind surfing and water skiing.
6) Pasikudah & Kalkudah: Kalkuda and Pasikuda are two separate beaches situated nearby in Batticloa district of eastern province nearly 300 km from Colombo.
These are popular for its sand and calm water.
7) Unawatuna: Described as most wonderful beach location by the nature, Unawatuna is one of the best Scuba Diving Locations in Sri Lanka.
It is famous beach for sports like Scuba Diving, Surfing and also for the Sea Food in Sri Lankan Style.
The Jungle Beach, Roomassagla Hills, Kathaluwa Temple, Galle Fort are nearby interesting places.
Even while it had suffered heavily in the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami events that hit Sri Lanka and southeast Asia countries, this seaside community was rebuilt quickly, and touristic activity was resumed, giving the chance to travelers looking for an authentic Sri Lankan beach resort to have a unique time.
8) Weligama: Weligama is a unique Bay and Beach with a wide and long sandy beach located in Matara District of Southern Province close to Matara town.
The tiny island once owned by Frenchman Count de Maunay, has built a beautiful house on it.
The bay is famous for its remarkable fishermen doing stilt fishing and hand made lace, Devil Dance Shows and it’s seafood. Weligama is also a wonderful Scuba Diving and Surfing location.
9) Polhena: This beach is about 2 km inside to the Matara city.
This is ideal place for scuba diving, surfing, sunbathing.
This is a very famous destinations because of the natural swimming pool created by the coral reef.
There is not only one beach; it consists of bunches of beaches along the coastline.
10) Mirissa: Mirissa is a small, beautiful and rocky beach which is calm, relaxing and almost private.
Whales and dolphins watching, deep sea fishing, river trips, snorkeling and bird watching are activities you could do while you travel in Mirissa, Sri Lanka.
Many tourists come to Mirissa for whale watching.
You can watch the whales in the Indian Ocean off the Mirissa harbour in the November-April season.
A few tour companies arrange trips for a low cost.
Come join with us for an amazing trip.
Talk to us at EziiTours to Explore New Destinations around the World.